Sunday, September 16, 2012

Bicycle ramblings...

I spent a good part of the weekend on my bike.  Here are a few thoughts from my journeys.


1. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.  If all of the Romans are riding through a busy intersection when its not their turn, I'm going with them.  There's strength in numbers.

2. One short warning beep is sufficient.  No need to wear out your horn to let me know you're behind me.  I'm foreign, not deaf.

3. There's a bike lane.  People drive their cars in the bike lane to get around the other traffic, only to then have to merge back over or avoid killing a bicyclist.  People park their cars in the bike lane which means bicyclists have to drive in the car lane, and people honk at them for being in the car lane, and then honk at them for being in their way in the bike lane while they are trying to park their cars there.  Also, sidewalks are acceptable parking places for cars.

4. Buses won't necessarily stop or even yield just because they have a red light...

5. The old guy on the bike in front of you that keeps swerving and preventing you from passing may be an inconvenience, but just be thankful he's not behind the wheel of a car.

6. Always check over your left shoulder.

7. The bike guy under the bridge is much less sketchy than he sounds.


No comments:

Post a Comment