Wednesday, March 13, 2013

If it looks like a chocolate chip...

Today on the bus ride home, I was talking to a friend who is also fairly new to China.  I told her that I have some guests coming to visit within the next few months, and she said, "Make sure you find out what their expectations are and tell them what they can actually expect it to be like."

So I started thinking...what should I tell my friend and my mom before they come visit?


1. Be careful what you step in.  Puddles in the sidewalk may be a variety of things ranging from rainwater to urine to spit to snot.

2. Don't wear flip flops or nice shoes.  See number 1.

3. Things in China take about twice as long as in the States.  Then double that because you're a foreigner.

4. "Ting bu dong."  If you're going to learn one phrase, learn that.

5.  Bicycle etiquette.   Stay to the right, pass on the left.  Bicycles going against traffic stay closest to the curb, as do pedestrians.  Car doors sometimes fly open and it hurts if you hit them.  There's a bell on your handlebars...use it.  Once you commit to crossing the street, go for it.  Do whatever the Chinese bicyclists do - they've been doing this longer than you and they aren't dead yet. 

6. Sweet potato chips.  Yes.

7.  The city bus can be a lot of fun, as long as you're willing to surrender your personal space at the door.

8. Restaurants with picture menus, while the food never really looks like the picture, are much safer than restaurants without pictures.

9. People will laugh at you.  It's okay... It helps if you assume they are laughing WITH you.

10. If it looks like a chocolate chip, it's probably a red bean.

1 comment:

  1. This. Is. Hilarious. Lol. Love it ;) if I ever come to china to get "my baby"... I'll keep all these in mind!

    ReplyDelete