Friday, August 17, 2012

DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH? WE WANT PIZZA!

Yesterday marked 3 weeks of life in China... Time has (mostly) flown! My roommates and I are getting a little tired of rice and veggies, so we decided to use a flyer we got in our door (probably a bad idea...) to order pizza.  Some of the menu was in English, so I figured it was worth a shot to at least call and try.

I dialed the phone... "Wèi?"

"Do you speak English?"

"Ni hao."

"Do you speak English?"

"Ni hao."

"English!  Does anyone there speak English?"

"Mumble...mumble...pizza....mumble...ni hao."

"Ummmmm.  Thanks anyway."

Click.

As I was about to accept my fate of rice and veggies, my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Ni hao."

Oh. My. Word.  They called me back.

"Mumble mumble mumble pizza."

"Do you speak English?"

"Only a little."

So I handed the phone to my roommate, Grace.  "Maybe he speaks Korean? You try."

*Grace says something in Korean that means, "Do you speak Korean?"*  Negative.  So then Grace begins the same conversation I had 5 minutes prior.

"Do you speak English?...Okay, we want to order a pizza....a pizza.....a cheese pizza....we want to order a cheese pizza....yes, a pizza.....cheese....just cheese....only cheese....pizza..."

5 minutes later......

"Do you speak English?"

Hahahaha....so then my other roommate said to her, "Don't you think it's a little late to be asking that?  Didn't we establish that like 10 minutes ago?"

Eventually she told him our address in her very best Chinglish, and then we waited. 

...

15 minutes later there was a knock at the door.....  I think the following pictures speak for themselves.


Victory.

3 comments: