Saturday, December 15, 2012

Dec 15 Thoughts

As I try to go about my normal Saturday activities, all I can think about is how the teachers in Newtown, Connecticut experienced my worst nightmare yesterday.  My heart absolutely breaks for the people involved in this terrible, senseless shooting.  I think about the 14 precious children I care for day in and day out and wonder how anyone could even dream of hurting one of them.  They are so innocent, so defenseless... most of them can't even tie their own shoes.  The biggest challenge they face most days is deciding which color marker to choose or remembering which letter says, "a...a...a." They love silly songs and they will do almost anything for a jelly bean.  They are more than just my students...they are amazing children who I love dearly.

So my first thought today was, 'I'm glad I'm so far away from this horrible thing that has happened. I feel safer in China than I ever did in America.'

 And then I heard about this:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2012/12/14/china-school-stabbings/1770395/

I'm reminded that we live in a fallen, broken world.  I've found myself feeling a bit nauseous or panicked when I think about going into school on Monday.  This could happen anywhere.  When Monday comes, though, I'm still a teacher whose job is to love and nurture and educate.  My students are still kids who are coming to school to learn and play and be safe.  I don't have to live in fear because I have a Father in heaven who is in control, and I know I can trust Him no matter what lies ahead.  I've also been reminded of these pieces of Truth today...

This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast...Hebrews 6:19

Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Romans 12:15

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.  John 16:33

The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.  Psalm 34:18

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.  Psalm 147:3

Children are a gift from the Lord.  Psalm 127:3

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.  Revelation 21:4


But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles...
 They will run and not grow weary...
 They will walk and not faint.
  Isaiah 40:31

No comments:

Post a Comment